Treatment for Shoulder Pain in Phoenix, AZ & Ahwatukee, AZ
What Is Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain is common, especially after working out or playing sports. Shoulder pain can range from minor aches and pains to severe injuries. If you are experiencing shoulder pain in Phoenix, AZ, contact us at Life Chiropractic. We offer physical therapy, shoulder massage, nutritional counseling, and auto accident injury rehabilitation services for shoulder pain in Phoenix AZ. Call us to get relief from your pain today.
Symptoms & Causes of Shoulder Pain
The symptoms of shoulder pain include stiffness, soreness, swelling, weakness, and loss of range of motion. Pain may be felt at the top of the arm near the shoulder blade, or along the front edge of the shoulder blade.
The cause of shoulder pain may be injury, arthritis, tendinitis, muscle strain, bone spurs, rotator cuff tear, frozen shoulder, or inflammation.
When you exercise, your muscles contract and relax repeatedly. When they contract, they pull on bones and joints, causing them to move. Over time, these repeated movements can cause wear and tear on your shoulders.
If you feel pain when lifting something heavy, then you may be suffering from a torn rotator cuff. This injury occurs when the tendons inside the shoulder become damaged due to repetitive motions. The best way to treat a torn rotator cuff is through physical therapy, which includes exercises designed to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder joint.
How Is Shoulder Pain Diagnosed?
A shoulder injury may be diagnosed based on symptoms such as pain, swelling, bruising, stiffness, weakness, loss of function, and restricted movement. The doctor will also look at how long the problem has been going on and whether any other injuries are present through different tests, such as a range of motion test, strength testing, or x-rays.
If you’ve been in a wreck or the doctor has reason to believe that your injury is more serious, the doctor may also order blood work or X-rays may be taken to rule out fractures or dislocations. MRI or CT scans may be ordered to diagnose soft tissue damage.
Available Treatments for Shoulder Pain
- Physical Therapy: A physical therapist will help you learn how to move properly again and strengthen weak muscles. They will teach you exercises to do at home to help prevent future injuries.
- Chiropractic Massage: A shoulder massage may help reduce pain and inflammation. However, it should be used only when needed and under the supervision of a health professional.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is effective at reducing pain and improving function in patients who suffer from chronic neck and back pain.
- Injections: Injections are commonly used to treat shoulder pain. Cortisone shots are injected into the joint capsule to decrease swelling and increase mobility. Anesthetic/analgesics are injected into the bursa sac to numb the area and provide relief from pain.
- Surgery: Surgery is rarely necessary unless other treatments fail. Surgeons remove damaged cartilage and bone fragments to improve range of motion and reduce pain.
Contact Life Chiropractic
Life Chiropractic offers comprehensive shoulder pain treatment in Phoenix, AZ, and surrounding areas. We offer a variety of services including adjustments, massage therapy, physical therapy, nutritional counseling, and more. Our goal is to help our patients achieve optimal health. Call us to schedule an appointment and get relief from your shoulder pain today.